Maui Surf Lessons is Dedicated to the Ocean Environment
Surfers are the ultimate ocean stewards. When you spend all your time and energy in the playing in the waves,, you learn the importance of caring for our oceans and beaches. We believe it is our kuleana (responsibility) to malama (care for) our natural environment, and inspire ocean stewardship through all of our lessons.
Maui Surf Lessons proudly supports Hawaii Ecotourism Association principles of sustainable tourism.
We care about doing right for our ocean, planet, and community. Here are just a few ways that we are working to make a positive difference:
- We teach our guests the importance of respecting our ocean environment. Stepping, kicking, or breaking coral can significantly harm the coral reefs where we surf. We never walk on the reef (and don’t provide booties or water shoes).
- Recent research shows that sunscreens with oxybenzone can negatively impact our coral reefs. To avoid the harmful impacts of sunscreens, we provide our guests with rash guards FREE of charge on every lesson.
- Single-use plastics are one of the worst ocean polluters. To minimize our waste, we provide water to guests using stainless steel, reusable water bottles.
- We conduct “mini beach cleanups” before each lesson.
- In addition to being awesome surfers, all of our instructors are also Certified Marine Naturalists. Our instructors also attend annual marine ecology and Hawaiian cultural classes.
- We believe that teaching people to surf is an important part of developing ocean stewards. We use our surf lessons to inspire people to get stoked on protecting our ocean!